Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fiber optic cable and routers.

IT Question:
Needed Equipment:


**Update - 2010 September.  Feel like I need to go with Fiber here as I may be looking at runs from 2000' to 1KM in the future.  Someone told me to take a look at   Allied Telesyn FS709FC routers and they look like exactly what I need.  I think I'll need three of these and about 2000' of fiber optic cable.  Question:  how hard is it to terminate the  fiber optic cable?  Anyone out there with experience with this?  Blessings, DF






2010 - April
We have a couple of long run (700'-1000') cabling needs.  I had been trying to find some fiber optic cable and switches when some friends recently suggested that I look into coax for these runs.  After doing some research, I'm sold on the idea.  It seems like we can buy some coax to Ethernet adapters and run our cabling up to about 1500' with no issues.  I'd love to hear from someone who's done this to confirm that this is an easy cheap way to make these runs.  I'd also wonder if there is anyone out there with this type of equipment "sitting around".  I understand that coax used to be utilized for ip networks frequently before Ethernet cabling became so popular.

So to summarize, what I am looking for is two things:  1) confirmation that this is a good way to achieve 700'-1000' cabling runs for high speed data and 2) to see if anyone has access to 1500' of coax and or the coax to Ethernet adapters lying around that they could donate.

Thank you and blessings!

DF

4 comments:

  1. Dave,
    Coax is more prone to damage and thus degradation than ethernet. I have a box of ethernet cable in the garage, I'm sure Charla would love for me to donate. I also have a couple of punch down tools for terminating, and I could send some ends. I'd have to check the length, so let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Didn't know you were a geek too. :) I'm so proud! We'd love to have the cable and the tools. We are ALWAYS running new Ethernet cable runs here. The problem in this particular instance is that I need to go 700-1000' and Ethernet cable is only good out to about 300'. I need a solution that will allow me to go longer. You can send the cable and the tools to the following address:

    The Cornerstone Foundation
    18384 West Lake Drive
    Saucier, MS 39574

    Just mark on the outside of the box:
    "Loma de Luz Geek" and a short list of what's in the box and we'll get it down here on the next container.

    Thanks so much! DF

    ReplyDelete
  3. What bandwidth do you require? If it is a low bandwidth application DSL extenders are pretty handy. They can run off simple twisted pair and have great range. I have used them in many applications due to distance or where I couldn't get CAT5 cable run but was able to use existing wiring. The least expensive version I know of is:
    http://www.netsys-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=NH-300SEKIT

    It is about $120 for a pair of devices that transport 1 meg over 1600 feet. If you need higher bandwidth their are units that handle much higher bandwidth.
    I haven't used Coax as a transport medium for a long time, about the same time I stopped using Token ring! However, I can't see any reason it wouldn't work and it is certainly cheaper than fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, bandwidth here is 1000Kbps. This should be no problem for any modern equipment. Thanks for the tip. I will look into these. I've recently received an email from a person in the states that wants to help us do the whole thing in fiber. If that works out then it would make this a cooler topic. Thanks so much! DF

    ReplyDelete